Thursday, June 14, 2007

Dog Gone

Lucy went home last night, after a week-and-a-half vacation on the farm while her people travelled.



Lucy came to me as Lucky. Her owner, an elderly acquaintance, was moving and could not take her beloved dog. Since she had rescued the spunky Blue Heeler from the "pound"several years earlier, she just couldn't bring herself to take her back there. She asked if I could help.



I agreed to keep Lucky until we could find a good home for her. Lucky was a foster dog at the farm for a long time, but eventually a farm visitor fell in love with her and offered her a permanent home. She thus because Lucy, since her new owner's neighbor had a dog named Lucky.



Visiting the farm for the first time in perhaps 4 years, Lucy still clearly remembers now-12-year-old Toss, and accords her the respect due to the alpha dog of the farm. But Luna was born after Lucy left the farm. Luna and Lucy bitterly contested second place when they were in the house. Each thought she had a valid claim to dominance, because each thought she had been there first.



It's always fun having canine guests here, whether for a few hours or a few days. I learn things about my dogs, and I see my dogs learning things as well. It's a pleasant change of routine.



And it's always a relief when the guests go home.

No comments: