Friday, October 26, 2007

Ingenious insect

Really, it makes me want to take up ceramics again.

I was fine-tuning the fancy "new" (courtesy of Habitat for Humanity's ReStore) entry door for the "retail area" in the garage. The door had originally had a deadbolt, but I didn't want to fuss with another house key. So I found a cover plate for the extraneous hole, part of an escalating effort to winterize the farm.

During the summer, we put a piece of tape across the inside of the lock hole to keep the bugs out. When I removed the tape, I discovered that one enterprising insect with an artistic flair had found the bolt tunnel to be a nice sheltered place for a nest.

It's not often that I find a potter's wasp nest on the farm, and they are always a source of pleasure when I do. It just seems so wonderful that a tiny insect would take so much trouble to make such an artistic vessel for its larva. In this case, not just the fact of the little vase-shaped clay pot, but the regular-but-random surface texture and the whole tableau seemed to transcend the usual whimsy of these little nests.

No comments: