Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Water Line Meeting, June 12

Last week, I received a letter from the City of Lawrence about the "Kaw Water Treatment Plant Water Transmission Main." There will be a "Neighborhood Information Meeting" Thursday, June 12, from 6:30 to 7:30 at Woodlawn School, 508 Elm St. in North Lawrence (first street on the east, north of the Bridge)

Please attend this meeting if you are able. If not, please hold us in your thoughts and prayers.

*****

Who should be concerned about this water line project and how it is planned to be built in the backyards of people who didn't get to vote for the people who decided that it should be in their backyards?

--Anyone who pays taxes in the City of Lawrence...this is how the City is spending them.

--Anyone who owns property near the City of Lawrence...your business or back yard may be next.

--Actually, anyone who owns property, period...just as a sobering reflection that you really don't have much control over "your" land, just the obligation to pay taxes on it until some government wants to use it.

--Especially, anyone who says "But they can't DO that" when you hear that the City's contractor trespassed to do surveying on my pasture, or that the City can use Eminent Domain to forcibly TAKE my land even though it's not in the City (yet).

****

Interestingly, the letter was addressed "Dear Lawrence Resident"--as though I am already a Lawrence resident. When I noticed this, a chill went down my spine. I do not want to EVER be a Lawrence Resident. I am a Douglas County resident. That is where I bought my land, and where I want my land to stay.

No comments: